Corsham: Wiltshire fire safety week to send out strong message
By nhavergal | Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 11:31
Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service are holding an electrical fire safety week to inspire people to take extra care when using electrical items in the home.
Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service.
The week has been created to help people realise how dangerous electricity is when it is not insulated or used properly.
Research from the Electrical Safety Council found between 2011 and 2012 there were 219 reported accidents which involved fires caused by electricity.
Neil Chamberlain, Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service Watch Manager said: "Half of all accidental fires start from faulty or misused electrical equipment, so it is essential to be sure that your electrics are in good working order and are used properly. All too often, it is the simple things that people could check for themselves that can lead to a serious fire."
Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service are working alongside the Fire Kills campaign and the Electrical Safety Council to help spread the message.
The Electrical Safety Council has also developed an app to help people check their electrics safely. The app is available for the Iphone and Android smartphones and pads. The app can be found by searching 'Home Electrical Safety Check'.
For more information about fire hazards in the home visit the Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service here.